db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Mahler <t...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Illegal use of JDO code
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2002 18:32:51 GMT
Hi again Craig,

Craig Russell wrote:
 > Hi Thomas,
 >
 > While looking over what you had done already with ojb, I saw that the
 > JDO reference implementation had illegally been checked into the ojb
 > source base and the copyright notices and authorship changed.

I don't know if this is true, as I've not been commiting to the
src/java/org/apache/ojb/jdo package for a very long time.
But from a short look at the code it seems that you could be right.
I need some further investigation to get the facts.
I've already posted a query to our developer list. I hope that the
developers involved can say what happened.

It goes without saying that it is not acceptable to check in parts of
the JDO RI and to change copyright notices and authorship!

We will immediately remove the respective source code from our code base!

I have no idea why one of our developers could have done this. Apart
from being illegal it just does not make any sense.
We never intended to reimplement parts of the JDO RI. I can only assume
this happened by accident. (e.g. the Connector class you are referring
to is not referenced from other code).

 > This is not an auspicious start to a relationship to collaborate on
 > JDO between Sun and Apache.

I'm really sorry for this. I hope we can solve this issue in a moderate
way. Such things were in no way intended and definitely are against the
spirit of Apache and the OJB project as well.

 > I've contacted Sun legal and they no doubt will contact Apache
 > management, but I thought I'd let you know about this major issue.

Thanks for informing me. I understand that you had to contact Sun legal,
but I would have preferred to solve this issues without formal escalation.

 > You will need to correct this problem before we can start discussing
 > how to proceed.

I absolutely agree.
I hope to get an answer from the developers involved until tomorrow.

We will remove the respective code until Tuesday (3.rd. December) from
our CVS repository.

Craig, I still believe that a collaboration makes sense. Please have a
look at
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-ojb/src/jdori/org/apache/ojb/jdori/sql/#dirlist

It contains my recent implementation of a JDO SQL store that can be
plugged into the JDORI. It parallels the com.sun.jdori.fostore package.

The idea is to plug into the JDORI by sublassing and implementing
interfaces. I hope you don't see any (legal or other) problems with my code.

This implementation is very lean and proves that an OJB based JDO RI Sql
store can be implemented elegantly.

best regards,
Thomas