db-jdo-user mailing list archives

From cbeams <cbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Query by interface
Date Sat, 01 Sep 2007 07:14:08 GMT

As a user, here's what I would expect to work:

	public interface Person {}

	public class MyPerson implements Person {}

	public class Main {
		public static void main(String... args) {
			PersistenceManagerFactory pmf =
			PersistenceManager pm = pmf.getPersistenceManager();
			pm.makePersistent(new MyPerson());  // persist the concrete type

			Query query = pm.newQuery(Person.class);  // query by the interface
			Person person = (Person)query.execute();

			assert person instanceof MyPerson == true;

This does not work, however (at least with JPOX).  My instanceof
assertion at bottom fails, because person is actually a type
generated by the implementation (PersonImpl in the case of JPOX).
While I understand that this class generation approach may have some
uses, I'm actually dealing with I believe is a much simpler use case
that doesn't seem to be supported:  I simply want to be able to
persist an instance of a concrete type and subsequently query for
that object by it's interface.

Am I missing something?  Note that I'm not looking for any JPOX-
specific tips here; just some guidance on usage per the spec.

- Chris

Chris Beams

View raw message