db-jdo-user mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject [DISCUSS] Evicting dirty instances
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2007 01:11:01 GMT
This topic was raised by Christiaan http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/db-jdo-user/200708.mbox/%3c12232225.post@talk.nabble.com%3e

Before the JDO spec introduced the concept of application-defined
flush(), the evict method could be used to make an instance hollow
and therefore subject to garbage collection.

When we introduced flush(), it became possible for all of the
application state in the cache to be erased from the cache, leaving
only the life-cycle state of the instance in memory for future
reference.

My proposal is to require that the JDO implementation treat flushed
dirty instances the same as hollow and persistent-nontransactional
instances, allowing them to be garbage collected. The uniqueness
guarantee only applies if the application itself holds a strong
reference to the instance.

This proposal would allow a well-designed program that creates or
updates a large transaction set of persistent instances to flush
periodically and not run out of memory.

If an application constructs a large number of instances and flushes
them, the only artifact remaining in the cache would be the memory
that the instance was new. That is, if the instance were subsequently
queried or obtained by id, the instance would still be persistent-new
although the instance retrieved might be a different Java instance
from the instance created and flushed.

We could still use the evict method to remove even the memory of the
life cycle state of the instance. So if the persistent-new instance
were flushed, it would still be persistent-new, but if it were then
evicted, it would be subsequently retrieved as a hollow or persistent-
nontransactional instance.

Please comment.

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com