db-jdo-user mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Spec: retainValues + flush()
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2007 16:51:56 GMT
Hi Christiaan,

Slow getting through my email backlog after vacation...

On Aug 20, 2007, at 1:48 AM, Christiaan wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a question about flush() in combination with retainValues.
> In the
> spec it says for retainValues
> "If this flag is set to false, then eviction of transactional
> persistent
> instances takes place at transaction commit."
> This does not mention flush(), is this done on purpose?

Yes, in the sense that retainValues and restoreValues are intended to
specify the behavior of instances transitioning between transactions.

> The reason why I ask
> is that I was under the impression that flush() can be used to free up
> resources if possible, for instance when performing a large
> transaction. It
> would be beneficial for memory usage if already processed objects
> would
> become hollow after flush() is being called.

The explicit evict methods are intended for this kind of memory
management usage. Are there issues with evict for your purposes?

Best regards,