db-jdo-user mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Spec: retainValues + flush()
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2007 16:51:56 GMT
Hi Christiaan,

Slow getting through my email backlog after vacation...

On Aug 20, 2007, at 1:48 AM, Christiaan wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a question about flush() in combination with retainValues.
> In the
> spec it says for retainValues
>
> "If this flag is set to false, then eviction of transactional
> persistent
> instances takes place at transaction commit."
>
> This does not mention flush(), is this done on purpose?

Yes, in the sense that retainValues and restoreValues are intended to
specify the behavior of instances transitioning between transactions.

> The reason why I ask
> is that I was under the impression that flush() can be used to free up
> resources if possible, for instance when performing a large
> transaction. It
> would be beneficial for memory usage if already processed objects
> would
> become hollow after flush() is being called.

The explicit evict methods are intended for this kind of memory
management usage. Are there issues with evict for your purposes?

Best regards,

Craig