db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Apache (Oracle?) JDO 3.1 release, revisited
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2014 16:46:37 GMT
Hi Andy,

On Apr 17, 2014, at 2:29 AM, Andy Jefferson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Back on 16th Feb I asked the question about when JDO 3.1 will finally be
> released.
> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-jdo-dev/201402.mbox/%3C5258035.4XLbusq06k%40rookie%3E
>
> I didn't see a conclusive reply. We're now 2 months on, and I see nothing
> happening. Does anybody have a date WHEN this is going to happen (if ever) ?

Long answer:

JDO falls outside the boundaries of "normal" Oracle-led JSRs. It has taken more time than
I expected to get Oracle legal to understand that JDO is a different project with different
licensing requirements. Mostly, Oracle is used to being in control of JSRs in which it has
an interest.

I have discussed with Oracle attorneys several scenarios: transferring Maintenance Lead responsibilities
to another organization. Apparently transferring to Apache sounds so far-fetched as to be
a non-starter. If there is another organization or individual willing to be Maintenance Lead,
that might be possible. Volunteers?

Another alternative is for JDO to leave JCP completely. This would mean renaming the API name
space from javax.jdo to org.apache.jdo just like the TCK has already done. The specification
license would still be problematic. Also, the name Java TM Data Objects would probably need
to be changed.

Short answer: no, there is no expected release date.

Craig

> Regards
> --
> Andy