db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday April 18, 9:00 am Pacific Daylight Time (PDT)
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2014 16:57:05 GMT
Attendees: Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Use svnpubsub for publishing DB project release artifacts: Myrna copied Derby and Torque,
so are we ready to inform Infra?

3.0.1 is the only release still relevant for our purposes. Other releases are still available
directly from maven central.

If any additional releases are needed, we can simply update the svnpubsub directory ourselves.

2. JDO release JDO 3.1-rc1: JDO web site updates https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-7320

The JIRA has been updated to request that infra make svnpubsub live.

3. Question from Andy about JDO 3.1 release date, see mail "Apache (Oracle?) JDO 3.1 release,
revisited".

JDO falls outside the boundaries of "normal" Oracle-led JSRs. It has taken more time than
I expected to get Oracle legal to understand that JDO is a different project with different
licensing requirements. Mostly, Oracle is used to being in control of JSRs in which it has
an interest.

I am still working on getting the licensing for 3.1 resolved so we can release while we discuss
other alternatives.

I have discussed with Oracle attorneys several scenarios: transferring Maintenance Lead responsibilities
to another organization. Apparently transferring to Apache sounds so far-fetched as to be
a non-starter. If there is another organization or individual willing to be Maintenance Lead,
that might be possible. Volunteers?

Another alternative is for JDO to leave JCP completely. This would mean renaming the API name
space from javax.jdo to org.apache.jdo just like the TCK has already done. The specification
license would still be problematic. Also, the name Java TM Data Objects would probably need
to be changed.

Bottom line: no, there is no expected release date.

4. News on JDO-651 "Modify specification to address NoSQL datastores":
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-651 ?

no news.

5. Other issues

Action Items from weeks past:
[Mar 14 2014] AI Craig Spec update for JDO-728 "extension element for
@Index annotation is needed"
[Feb 28 2014] AI Everyone: take a look at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-712
[Feb 28 2014] AI Everyone: take a look at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-625
[Jan 10 2014] AI Michelle resolve JDO-723
[Dec 13 2013] AI Craig file a JIRA for java.sql.Blob and java.sql.Clob
as persistent field types
[Oct 25 2013] AI We still need to merge changes from the 3.1-rc1 branch
to the trunk.
[May 10 2013] AI Everyone take a look Apache ISIS and maybe subscribe to
ISIS mail lists.
[Aug 24 2012] AI Craig update the JIRAs JDO-689 JDO-690 and JDO-692
about JDOHelper methods. In process.
[Aug 17 2012] AI Craig comment on JIRA JDO-589 Autocommit or
nontransactional action

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle
http://db.apache.org/jdo