db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Jefferson <a...@datanucleus.org>
Subject Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, August 10, 9 am Pacific Time
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 18:10:43 GMT
> 1. Health of the JDO community (was: Re: Health of the DB
> communities): see email from Kristian Waagan on August 7, 2012
>
> Matthew thinks JDO marketing could use some help, especially around
> noSQL. The wider community still thinks that JDO was deprecated (years
> back) in favor of JPA and Hibernate, and this colors the perception of
> the project.
>
> Also need tooling for IDE's in particular. SpringData JDO is a
> project that could attract new users/developers. Eclipse plugin for
> creating entities, enhancement.

Random thoughts, and this is intended as constructive, not as real criticism
;-)

What becomes "top level" and "lower level" in Apache has always seemed totally
arbitrary, and it's easier to find top level projects.

Do Apache projects really have such a good record of attracting new committers
after the first year? My view from outside is that they don't and they often
have a list of inactive people listed that wanted to be added at startup (who
knows why), that never do (or ever did) anything.

Release frequency of one release every few years likely doesn't inspire people
to contribute. Talk after 3.0 (July 2010) was for a faster release cycle. Yes
I know people are busy and resource is scarce, but surely better can be
achieved. Hopefully once the spec is in ODF this can improve. Plenty of people
want (and are using as a vendor extension) this typesafe query API, and it
just sitting in JIRA won't satisfy that need

Apache JDO is not your normal type of project (delivering software for a
particular problem). It defines a spec, API and series of tests. This isn't the
sort of thing that is going to attract many new people since they're more
interested in the end result of something that fulfils that spec.

Lack of publicity of releases doesn't attract attention; there was no official
communication of JDO 3.0 on external sites other than something I did myself
due to the absence of anything from the project. Why doesn't the project do
this? Let's not be afraid of upsetting Oracle management and advertising JDO
;-) We know they don't like it, like I'm bothered :-)

Yes some people say JDO is dead, but then plenty of people are using it
(including many newbies). GAE JDO plugin v2.x fixes many of the problems they
encountered with v1.

Regards
--
Andy