db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: log4j class loader
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2012 03:16:44 GMT
Hi Michelle,

I think this problem is due to the maven setup.

If you have maven set up your classpath, and declare a dependency on
log4j, then maven will put the log4j.jar file into the classpath.

But in order to have maven also put log4j.properties into the
classpath, you need tell maven to add a dependency on a resources
directory that has the log4j.properties.

For example,

   <build>
         <resources>
                 <resource>
                 </resource>
         </resources>

What the above snippet does is to add src/main/resources to the
classpath when building the jar file. Something similar needs to be
done for exectck or tck...

Craig

On Mar 7, 2012, at 6:28 PM, Michelle Caisse wrote:

> Which classloader is the one used to load log4j?  -- Michelle
>
> On 3/6/2012 7:36 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:
>> Hi Michelle,

>>> Would it then also be the case that putting the configuration file
>>> in the directory from which the log4j jar file is loaded should
>>> work? I tried this and it did not work.

>>> Log4j is handled by maven's dependency management. The same is
>>> currently true for the DataNucleus jars, though I had worked on an
>>> alternative to remove DataNucleus from the classpath when the IUT
>>> was run.
>>
>> If you're using maven for dependency management, then maven is only
>> going to add the log4j.jar to the classpath, not the directory in
>> which log4j.jar is located.
>>
>> I'd suggest *not* using maven for dependencies for jdori, as it
>> makes jdori not like iut.
>>
>> How about creating a directory for the known jdori dependencies
>> including the log4j.properties and all of DN dependencies and
>> treating it just like an iut except that it's configured by
>> exectck. Then as soon as jdori works, we can expect that a properly
>> set up iut will also work.
>>
>> I understand that there is then a bit of duplicate work to
>> configure jdori if you use mvn dependency management for DN, but I
>> think removing DN and its dependencies from mvn management is
>> actually a good thing.
>>
>> Craig
>>>
>>> -- Michelle

thread context