db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Matthew Adams <matt...@matthewadams.me>
Subject JDO 3.0 dependency on JPA
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2011 14:00:40 GMT
Hi all,

As a result of my request that SpringSource put JDO 3.0 into their
Enterprise Bundle Repository, a convenient repo of OSGi-compliant
bundles of otherwise non-OSGi-compliant jars
(https://issuetracker.springsource.com/browse/EBR-773), SpringSource
has done so.  The JDO 3.0 bundle can be viewed at
http://ebr.springsource.com/repository/app/bundle/version/detail?name=com.springsource.javax.jdo&version=3.0.0

I was looking at the "Imported Packages" section (bottom of page), and
noticed the version range of javax.persistence:  "[1.0.0,2.0.0)",
meaning "from 1.0.0 inclusive to 2.0.0 exclusive".

For JDO 3.0, is this strictly true?  That is to say, at the time we
officially released JDO 3.0, did we feel that, while it was designed
to work against JPA 1.0, it is expressly forbidden to work with JPA
2.0?  That's effectively what that Import-Package directive says.  I
think JPA 2.0 is backward-compatible with JPA 1.0, which means that we
should be able to work with JPA 2.0.

The patch I added to JDO-684 doesn't specify a version range for
javax.persistence, which effectively means "[0.0.0,infinity)".  I
actually think both are wrong.

I suggest changing the JDO-684 patch to specify
javax.persistence;version="[1.0.0,3.0.0)" and request that
SpringSource change it to be the same.  As long as the JPA expert
group doesn't break backward-compatibility with JPA 1.0 anywhere in
the 2.x line, which is a reasonable assumption, then that is a good
version range.

Thoughts?

-matthew

--