db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Matthew Adams <matt...@matthewadams.me>
Subject Major version number change to 4.0?
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2011 19:23:53 GMT
Hi all,

I know we recently released 3.0, will release 3.0.1 soon, and are
planning 3.1.  The thing is, we are planning on removing interface
JDOEntityManagerFactory, which I believe to be a breaking change.
IMHO, that should warrant a rev of the major version number, so that
JDO 3.1 really should be 4.0.

I always felt that, with a version convention of major.minor.micro, a
micro rev means bug fixes only, a minor rev means new features + bug
fixes, and a major rev means significant new features + bug fixes +
possible breaking changes or compatibility issues.

Thoughts?

-matthew

--
@matthewadams12