db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Jefferson <a...@datanucleus.org>
Subject Re: Major version number change to 4.0?
Date Sat, 15 Oct 2011 14:29:34 GMT
> I know we recently released 3.0, will release 3.0.1 soon, and are
> planning 3.1.  The thing is, we are planning on removing interface
> JDOEntityManagerFactory, which I believe to be a breaking change.
> IMHO, that should warrant a rev of the major version number, so that
> JDO 3.1 really should be 4.0.
> Thoughts?

Who uses JDOEntityManagerFactory ? DataNucleus never has, and consequently its
users haven't. Any other implementations claiming compliance and using it?; I
don't see any. Besides which, if going to JDO 4.0 then should also include
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-687
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-652
since they certainly will change methods/classes that users *do* use. Due to
resource constraints I don't see those being squeezed into the next release.

Consequently my vote is keep as JDO3.1

--
Andy
DataNucleus (http://www.datanucleus.org)