db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Jefferson <a...@datanucleus.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1148192 - /db/jdo/trunk/tck/src/conf/jdori-pmf.properties
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2011 04:20:47 GMT
> The intent of the "increment" strategy is to allow use of a database
> that the user has no control over (for example, the DBA refuses to add
> new tables). It's not an optimal strategy but a useful one. The JDO
> implementation can cache the largest key used and mitigate database
> access for each insert.
>
> But without changing the specification, I don't think it's ok to
> require another table in order to implement "increment". That's what
> "sequence" is for.
>
> Was there a recent change in DataNucleus that now "increment" is
> implemented using an internal "sequence" strategy?

DataNucleus simply changed to make use of the "autoCreate" flags in imposing
whether it was allowed to create *any* schema components. It has ALWAYS used a
table for "increment", that is not a change. "sequence" has always been to use
a datastore sequence also.

--
Andy
DataNucleus (http://www.datanucleus.org)