db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From David Bullock <dtbull...@gmail.com>
Subject Asynchronous database ops in JDO - something for the future?
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 00:14:40 GMT
Hi JDO specification folk,

One environment where I'd like to use JDO is Google AppEngine's datastore,
and that datastore specifies a way of working with data where one fires off
the query and then gets the results from a Future some time later [1].  (I
am sure Andy knows all about it lately :-)).

As far as I know, JDO doesn't currently standardise a way of working with
datastores in an async manner.  Maybe that would be an interesting problem
for JDO 4 some day?  As datastores increasingly become non-local and
latencies for operations become high, getting a callback when the datastore
is finished is a convenient way of working with it.

cheers,
David.

[1]
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/javadoc/com/google/appengine/api/datastore/AsyncDatastoreService.html