db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject [VOTE] Release JDO.next Specification (was Review copy of JDO 2.3 with change bars and assertions)
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2010 01:38:23 GMT
I've looked at the changes for JDO 2.3 and I agree with others that
the changes are pretty significant in terms of new capabilities for
tools and users.

Added an Enhancer API to allow applications to dynamically enhance
classes.
Added a Metadata API to allow applications to query and create
metadata for classes.
Modified the behavior of getObjectById to allow the application to
specify the exact class of an instance, thereby avoiding a database
access to instantiate a persistent instance with a specific identity.
Added a datastore timeout that will cancel datastore operations that
exceed a user-specified time limit.
Added a query cancel that allows applications to cancel currently-
executing queries.

The Enhancer API enables tools to be developed that support plugins
for ant, Eclipse, Netbeans, and other Java IDEs and tools to allow
users to enhance their classes during build, packaging, or runtime,
without use of proprietary APIs.

The Metadata API enables tools to be developed to dynamically create
Java classes that map to existing SQL and NoSQL datastores and
dynamically specify the metadata for the mapping, without use of
proprietary APIs.

To me, this justifies renaming the release from JDO 2.3 to JDO 3.0.

I'd like to run two votes simultaneously:

Release JDO.next specification (the vote on the release artifacts will
follow shortly; there are still a small number of issues to resolve)

Rename JDO.next to JDO 3.0.

Please vote early and often. The last vote recorded for any person
will determine that person's vote. Polls are open now and will close
no earlier than May 6.

Thanks,

Craig

On Apr 8, 2010, at 7:47 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're almost done with 2.3. Please take a look and see if there are
> any changes needed before we vote.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craig
>
> For those only on the apache alias, please find the specification at:

> http://people.apache.org/~clr/jdo-2010-04-09.pdf

Craig