db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Marco หงุ่ยตระกูล-Schulze <Ma...@NightLabs.de>
Subject Web site should refer more clearly to JPA 2.0
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2010 15:06:11 GMT
Hello *,

there are a few pages on http://db.apache.org/jdo/ which compare JDO to
JPA - namely these:

    * http://db.apache.org/jdo/jdo_v_jpa.html
    * http://db.apache.org/jdo/jdo_v_jpa_api.html
    * http://db.apache.org/jdo/jdo_v_jpa_orm.html

Lately, I wanted to demonstrate to one of our customers that JPA misses
many features compared to JDO. Thus, I showed him these pages and since
the head-lines are "JDO2" and "JPA1" our customer said: "JPA 2.0 is the
newest version, hence this page seems out-dated."

Even though there are some notes about JPA2 somewhere on these pages,
the primary impression is that they compare apples with pears.

I think, the comparison should compare JDO versus JPA - without any
version number in the table header. If a certain feature is new to JDO
2.0/2.1/2.2/2.3 or JPA 2.0 respectively, it should be indicated by a
small icon. This way, it is clearer that in fact all versions of JDO are
compared to all versions of JPA.

Alternatively, you could add some additional columns (for each version
one column) with small red and green icons - similar to
http://www.datanucleus.org/products/accessplatform_2_1/orm_relationships.html

Best regards, Marco :-)