db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: svn commit: r772124 - in /db/jdo/branches/2.3-ea/lib/ext: fscontext.jar providerutil.jar
Date Wed, 06 May 2009 17:03:53 GMT
Hi Andy,

On May 6, 2009, at 8:56 AM, Andy Jefferson wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
>>> Ahh but they weren't in the release. They were in SVN. The "release"
>>> distribution doesn't have them.
>>
>> I don't follow. The files were checked into the releases/2.3-ea
>> directory in svn. Was checking them in part of the release process?
>
> No, but then the instructions for release aren't simple.

!!

> They were
> under "db/jdo/**branches** not **releases**, so my previous reply
> was simply
> to verify if the license of aforementioned jars prohibits existence
> in SVN;
> they aren't being distributed. Either way they aren't there now.

It's both. The jars are only available by agreeing to a "click-
through" license and are unsuitable for either svn or releases. They
are part of what we now call "system requirements" that can be
installed by developers in their own environments but not
"distributed" via either svn or releases.

>>> Wish you people would sort your licenses out, then
>>> none of this would be a problem ;-)
>>
>> Who is "you people"? Sun, who don't release these jars under a
>> license
>> that Apache finds suitable?
>
> Just my vain attempt at humour. There was a smiley. I'll stick to
> serious
> stuff from now on :-)

You should know by now that we are a humourless lot! ;-)

Craig

> --
> Andy  (DataNucleus - http://www.datanucleus.org)

Craig L Russell