db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Embedded object and evict
Date Thu, 28 May 2009 18:11:18 GMT
I agree that embedded objects should be included in the spec. Right
now, there are hints but no specified behavior for embedded objects
with regard to the life cycle interrogatives and the behavior at
commit and evict.

I think the best approach is to treat embedded objects as transient
for all of the life cycle interrogatives. Then there is no question
about expected behavior after evict, commit, etc.

This does impact design. If you choose to make an embedded object,
then that object only has persistent behavior when associated with an
owner. It's never dirty, and can't be the parameter of any of the life
cycle changing APIs.

Craig