db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Jefferson <a...@datanucleus.org>
Subject Re: Detecting inconsistencies of mapped-by declarations?
Date Fri, 08 May 2009 13:25:51 GMT
> Needless to say that supporting this rare corner case would make the
> implementation much more complex, in particular with respect to
> bidirectional management.
>
> Maybe we could rule out the use of mapped-by in this case?

-1

Just because you don't have need for that case is no reason to prohibit it.
Heck, the JPA crowd were calling Collection<String> as "exotic" and "corner
case" some time back. Nice. Also, JDO is for all datastores not just RDBMS,
and while you may just use RDBMS, there are many other datastores where this
is very reasonable.
The whole point of persistence specification is to capture requirements and
cater for what people want, not to prohibit when something seems difficult.

--
Andy  (DataNucleus - http://www.datanucleus.org)