db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Schilling <rschill...@cognitiongroup.biz>
Subject Enhancing using ClassFileTransformer.
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2009 21:23:11 GMT
Right.  After today's meeting, I now understand what
ClassFileTransformer is.  It's pretty handy for what we are doing.  Per
Craig's e-mail with the notes from today's JDO meeting, I'll be taking a
closer look at instrumentation for this purpose. This is a great
approach, because it allows us a concrete specification to implement
enhancement into build tools.  Enhancing during run-time of the
application post-build is another issue, and my understanding from Craig
is that restricting enhancement during the build process is the goal.
That's great too.

The instrumentation interface is so new, that it's kind of hard to find
anything with background information.  So, I'll be filling out the JDO
wiki as I go.

Quick question: Can anyone post a link with a description (or just
describe it here) of how the VM interacts with the instrumentation API
to process the bytestream of a class using ClassFileTransformer?

Does the VM invoke the class loader to find a class first, before
handing the class definition off to the ClassFileTransformer?  I assume
this is so but I want to be sure.

Richard