db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Enhancer specification text for discussion
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2008 18:14:30 GMT
Hi Matthew,

On Dec 22, 2008, at 9:45 AM, Matthew Adams wrote:

> Looks pretty good to me.  One question, below, though.
>
> On Dec 21, 2008, at 3:41 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:
>> -<option>: If a parameter begins with a "-" is found, it is added
>> to the other options list via the addOptions method.
>
> What is the format of the -<option> arguments for unary and non-
> unary arguments?

The proposal is that non-standard options are unary only. If you need
parameters, do what Java does with system properties: -
Danything.you.want.here=whatever.value.makes.sense

> That is, some options may take no arguments, one argument, or more
> than one argument.  How does the standard enhancer analyze and pass
> these to the implementation?

I struggled with trying to make it work and came up way short.

> For example, if I have three vendor-specific arguments foo, bar, and
> goo, used like this,
>
> ... -r -v -foo -bar bararg -goo gooarg1 gooarg2 acme-domain.jar
>
> how does the standard enhancer know that gooarg1 and gooarg2 are
> arguments to not resource or directory names?  If the syntax is
>
> <option>[<whitespace><option-value>[<whitespace><option-value>[...]]
>
> I don't think it could.  This might require a different format of
> the form
>
> <option>[:<option-value>[<whitespace><option-value>[...]]
>
> and the use of platform-specific characters (quotes, double quotes,
> etc) to indicate that the option's arguments should be read
> together.  To avoid this, the form could be instead
>
> <option>[:<option-value>[<option-value-separator><option-value>[...]]
>
> where <option-value-separator> could be in some list of specified
> values like comma, semicolon, colon, etc.
>
> WDYT?

I think that we don't need to do anything with -options that are not
standard. Just dump them as is into the options list. There is plenty
of flexibility in the -D pattern. In fact, the main reason for using
white space in the -option <option-parameter> is for ease of parsing
(implementation view) and ease of use (user view). Win win!

Craig

> -matthew

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com