db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Bouschen <mbo.t...@spree.de>
Subject Re: checkstyle??
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:08:30 GMT
Hi Michelle,

I agree, it makes more sense to put the info on the wiki and remove it
from the readme. BTW, the file jdo_checks.xml is not included in the
distribution, is it?

Regards Michael

> Thanks, Michael.  I think it would be better to put this information
> on the wiki for test developers. The readme is targeted more toward
> TCK users. Test developers needs a lot of information that is not in
> the readme, but which we have tried to put on the wiki.  I can add
> some of the information that you provided in your email. What do you
> think?
>
> -- Michelle
>
> Michael Bouschen wrote:
>> Hi Michelle,
>>
>> checkstyle is a development tool checking whether the code follows a
>> coding standard. The xml file is used to configure the rules defining
>> the coding standard. checkstyle is called by the maven plugin 'site'
>> when generating the site for a project and includes the checkstyle
>> report in the documentation. So I think the tool is more useful for
>> TCK developers rather than TCK users.
>>
>> The configuration sun_checks.xml (the base for the jdo_checks.xml
>> file) configures checkstyle to check the Sun Code Conventions. The
>> tools is very picky, so if you run it against the api2 or tck2
>> sources, it will find a lot of issues, where you could argue whether
>> this is really bad code. I relaxed some of the rules (e.g. a simple
>> rule that a line should have at most 80 characters, I configured it
>> to 100). From my point of view finishing the checkstyle configuration
>> would mean: agree to a configuration we want to use in the JDO API
>> and TCK and then change the sources such that they adhere to it. This
>> seems to be a lot of work and I don't know whether it is worth doing it.
>>
>> Regards Michael
>>
>>> Thanks, Michael, I see it there now.  I'm afraid, though, that I
>>> don't understand what it does or why the TCK user needs to be aware
>>> that the file is there. Also, what is unfinished of the checkstyle
>>> configuration? Should we finish it?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Michelle

It

--
*Michael Bouschen*
*Prokurist*

akquinet tech@spree GmbH
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24, D-10963 Berlin
Bülowstr. 66, D-10783 Berlin

Fon:   +49 30 235 520-33
Fax:   +49 30 217 520-12
Email: michael.bouschen@akquinet.de

akquinet tech@spree GmbH, Berlin
Geschäftsführung: Prof. Dr. Christian Roth, Hendrik Saly, Martin Weber
Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg HRB 86780
USt.-Id. Nr.: DE 225 964 680