db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Bouschen <mbo.t...@spree.de>
Subject Re: checkstyle??
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2008 21:58:56 GMT
Hi Michelle,

checkstyle is a development tool checking whether the code follows a
coding standard. The xml file is used to configure the rules defining
the coding standard. checkstyle is called by the maven plugin 'site'
when generating the site for a project and includes the checkstyle
report in the documentation. So I think the tool is more useful for TCK
developers rather than TCK users.

The configuration sun_checks.xml (the base for the jdo_checks.xml file)
configures checkstyle to check the Sun Code Conventions. The tools is
very picky, so if you run it against the api2 or tck2 sources, it will
find a lot of issues, where you could argue whether this is really bad
code. I relaxed some of the rules (e.g. a simple rule that a line should
have at most 80 characters, I configured it to 100). From my point of
view finishing the checkstyle configuration would mean: agree to a
configuration we want to use in the JDO API and TCK and then change the
sources such that they adhere to it. This seems to be a lot of work and
I don't know whether it is worth doing it.

Regards Michael

--
*Michael Bouschen*
*Prokurist*

akquinet tech@spree GmbH
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24, D-10963 Berlin
Bülowstr. 66, D-10783 Berlin

Fon:   +49 30 235 520-33
Fax:   +49 30 217 520-12
Email: michael.bouschen@akquinet.de

akquinet tech@spree GmbH, Berlin
Geschäftsführung: Prof. Dr. Christian Roth, Hendrik Saly, Martin Weber
Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg HRB 86780
USt.-Id. Nr.: DE 225 964 680