db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric Samson" <e...@xcalia.com>
Subject RE: JDO 2.2 : read-only datastore
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:38:25 GMT
As always in read-only cases, we could ideally have several options:

·         Raise an exception at operation time

·         Raise an exception at commit time

·         Silently ignore the operations (we accept the operation with no exception but we
don’t apply it in the datastores)

·         Ignore it but, mention it somewhere (potentially in logs, but logs are not standardized
AFAIK)

Best Regards,

.::. Eric Samson, CTO Data Services, DataDirect

Mobile: +33 6.03.02.53.41 -  <http://blog.xcalia.com/> Blog Data Access

De : Michael Bouschen [mailto:mbo.tech@spree.de]
Envoyé : mercredi 18 juin 2008 16:19
À : jdo-dev@db.apache.org; JDO Expert Group
Objet : Re: JDO 2.2 : read-only datastore

Hi Andy, hi Matthew,

I agree with Matthew that in order to support read only datastores we have to deal with modifications
of PCs. I am wondering which operation would result in an exception. How about commit or flush
throwing an exception if any modification is about to be flushed to the datastore?

JDOReadOnlyException sounds good to me.

Regards Michael

Why not also require modifications to PCs to throw JDOUserException? Further, the exception
could be a new extension of JDOUserException called JDOReadOnlyException.

Andy Jefferson wrote:

Something that we've been asked for several times is where a user has a datastore that is
outside their control and they either don't have permission to write to it, or maybe they
have permissions but don't want to write to it.

Propose :-
PMF property (with setter/getter)
javax.jdo.option.ReadOnly - values true | false

Behaviour :-
Use of makePersistentXXX(), deletePersistentXXX() will throw JDOUserException.
Use of query.deletePersistentAll() will throw JDOUserException

--

Michael Bouschen
Prokurist

akquinet tech@spree GmbH
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24, D-10963 Berlin
Bülowstr. 66, D-10783 Berlin

Fon:   +49 30 235 520-33
Fax:   +49 30 217 520-12
Email: michael.bouschen@akquinet.de

akquinet tech@spree GmbH, Berlin
Geschäftsführung: Prof. Dr. Christian Roth, Hendrik Saly, Martin Weber
Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg HRB 86780
USt.-Id. Nr.: DE 225 964 680