db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: AI in conference call
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:42:31 GMT
Hi Christian,

On Mar 18, 2008, at 5:00 AM, Christiaan wrote:

> Hi,
> I was browsing through the conference calls and I noticed this:
>
> "[Nov 30 2007] AI Christiaan propose more details on Update/copy by
> query for post-JDO 2.1. "
>
> Which is probably referring to me and the following posts:
> http://www.nabble.com/Feature-request%3A-copy-by-query-to13855888.html#a13855888
> http://www.nabble.com/Feature-request%3A-Update-by-Query-to13855819.html#a13855819
>
> Does the "propose more details" mean that you want more explanation
> on the
> "why" of this feature request or on the "how"?

Both.

As you know, the JPA query update uses a very SQL-ish construct that
just doesn't fit the JDO query model. I'd like to see some ideas on
what you think JDO query language for updates would look like.

And I have to admit I don't understand what copy by query would do.
You have objects in the database and you want to copy them and paste
them... where?

Regards,

Craig