db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Detaching or serializing persistent-nontransactional-dirty instances
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2007 18:56:16 GMT
I need some help resolving what the behavior should be for detaching
or serializing persistent-nontransactional-dirty instances. This
behavior was unspecified in JDO 2.0 when we introduced persistent-
nontransactional-dirty instances.

One point of view is that we should be consistent with serialization
behavior within a transaction, in which we assume that the
transaction will commit, and therefore return a detached-clean instance.

The other point of view is that we should not assume that there will
be a transaction to be committed, and therefore return a detached-
dirty instance, containing all the changes from the dirty instance.

I'm not sure that I understand well enough the scenarios that would
argue one side or the other. If there's no consensus we will leave
this unspecified for now.

Any ideas?

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com