db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Bengtson" <e...@jpox.org>
Subject Re: Query closures for JDO 2.2
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2007 07:43:55 GMT
The implementation can do the necessary in 1 or more statements as you said.

--   BlackBerry® from Mobistar    ---

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Bouschen <mbo.tech@spree.de>

Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 22:22:27
To:Apache JDO project <jdo-dev@db.apache.org>
Cc:JDO Expert Group <jdo-experts-ext@sun.com>
Subject: Re: Query closures for JDO 2.2

Hi,

during the JDO TCK conference call last Friday a question came up about
possible restrictions on such a perform block. SQL does not allow
multiple tables in the FROM clause of an UPDATE statement. So should we
put restrictions on JDOQL to allow a 1-1 mapping to SQL? Issues to be
considered: update of fields mapped to a secondary table, relationship
updates and use of variables to update related instances. However,
multiple SQL statements and/or subqueries might be needed anyway for
inheritance and existential queries (meaning relationship navigation in
the WHERE clause).

Another question is about the term "perform". It reinforces the idea
that you select a number of Java instances and perform some block action
on them. However, people might expect to use the word "update" for such
an operation.

What do you think?

Regards Michael

--
Tech@Spree Engineering GmbH  Tel.: +49/(0)30/235 520-33
Buelowstr. 66                Fax.: +49/(0)30/217 520-12

Geschaeftsfuehrung: Anna-Kristin Proefrock
Sitz Berlin, Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 564 52