db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Matthew Adams <matt...@matthewadams.org>
Subject Re: Properties for PersistenceManagerFactory
Date Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:16:50 GMT
This is the first that I've heard of the static getInstance methods
for InstanceLifecycleListener and DataStoreCache; I thought we would
just do Class.newInstance() using the no-arg constructor (thereby
requiring it).  Requiring the developer to provide a static
getInstance method is an unnecessary burden.

I propose adding the behavior of falling back to Class.newInstance()
and requiring a no-arg constructor if there is no static getInstance
method.

-matthew

On Dec 18, 2007, at 1:01 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> Here's the writeup for allowing the name of listener classes and
> datastore cache to be specified as properties in the properties
> file, similar to the specification in jdoconfig.xml.
>
> <proposed>
> Properties whose key begins with the prefix
> "javax.jdo.listener.InstanceLifecycleListener." have special
> treatment. The part of the key following the prefix is used as the
> class name of a class that implements the static method getInstance
> () and returns an instance that implements
> javax.jdo.listener.InstanceLifecycleListener. The implementation
> constructs an instance of this class, and the value of the key is a
> comma-separated list of classes to which the instantiated listener
> is registered to listen.
> Similarly, properties whose key begins with the prefix
> "javax.jdo.datastore.DataStoreCache." have special treatment. The
> part of the key following the prefix is used as the class name of a
> class that implements the static method getInstance() and returns
> an instance that implements javax.jdo.datastore.DataStoreCache. The
> implementation constructs an instance of this class and registers
> it as the cache for the PersistenceManagerFactory.
> </proposed>
>
> Craig Russell
> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!