db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Query closures for JDO 2.2
Date Sat, 01 Dec 2007 17:24:26 GMT
As you know, I'm not fond of the non-object style of query update,
and there are cases where you want to do a bulk update efficiently in
the datastore, but SQL just doesn't capture the object mapping that
is used in the rest of the application.

So what about defining a query closure, that is, declare a set of
statements that is executed for each qualifying instance that
satisfies the filter.

This could execute in memory for memory collections, or in the
datastore for non-instantiated collections. For portability we need
to define the closure in terms that can be mapped directly to SQL.

For example,

PERFORM salary *= 1. + :percent; lastSalaryAdjustment = :date FROM
Employee WHERE rating == :rating

Query q = pm.newQuery(Employee, "rating > :rating");
q.setPerform("salary *= 1.06; lastSalaryAdjustment = :date");
q.execute(.06, new Date(), 7);

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!