db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: JDO2.1/2.2 Proposal : Dynamic Fetch Groups
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:13:10 GMT
Hi Andy,

I like the idea of dynamically generating FetchGroups. For a post-2.1
release.

Also, I think that we should consider ways to manipulate FetchPlans
as well, both in programmatic as well as declarative approaches.
Specifically, I'd like to be able to specify in my configuration the
FetchPlan to use in a specific application context, e.g. the first
time a PersistenceManager is used to getObjectById or newQuery, the
FetchPlan for that use case is looked up from configuration and set
as the current FetchPlan.

Further, if the application wants a specific FetchPlan, they should
be able to call a method setFetchPlan with either the name of a
configured FetchPlan or a FetchPlan to use.

And then, assuming that the FetchPlan must change during some
interval of application processing, and then reset to the previous
settings, public void pushFetchPlan(FetchPlan); public void
pushFetchPlan(String fetchPlanName) and public FetchPlan popFetchPlan
() would allow a temporary override of the FetchPlan without the
application having to preserve the settings and update the FetchPlan
to restore it.

In this light, it might make sense to be able to register FetchPlans
by name with the PersistenceManagerFactory.

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!