db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Nov 2
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2007 19:37:39 GMT
Hi Andy,

On Nov 2, 2007, at 12:19 PM, Andy Jefferson wrote:

>> 1. Enum tests: Michelle is just about ready to check in. Running last
>> tests. In JPOX, enums are not persistent by default and seem to have
>> trouble with numeric types. AI Michelle check in tests; AI Craig
>> update spec to mandate enums as singleton, immutable objects and
>> allow other enum support;
>
> So are enum fields going to be default "persistent" now ?

I think it makes sense. Just like other immutable object types like
Integer.

I'm open to having them default non-persistent but seems better to
have them default persistent.

> Await to see what tests we are talking about here ... persistence?,
> retrieval?, JDOQL?, something else, because we obviously have some
> of our own
> and test the majority of things.

For starters, just store/retrieve enum values. Take a look at the
tests that Michelle checked in and see if they're ok.

> The only known issue is for JDOQL
> expressions comparing an enum field with the enum value (when it was
> persisted as a numeric). Comparing with the enum ordinal works fine
> in that
> situation.

We haven't discussed adding JDOQL tests. Maybe you could suggest
some, or contribute some.

>> Email discussion: Proposed method to ask the persistence manager for
>> managed instances might have a signature Object[ ]
>> getManagedInstances
>> (ObjectState[ ], Class... classes) which filters instances based on
>> their state and class. This could be part of 2.1 or deferred to 2.2.
>> Is this something that JPOX wants to see sooner?
>
> JPOX already has
> Collection PM.getManagedObjects()
> and could have any of the mentioned combinations pretty fast ;-)

Cool. If you could comment further on the specific API we might get
consensus pretty fast. A couple of things we need to discuss: the
return type of Object[ ] vs. Collection; argument type for
ObjectState and Class of Collection<ObjectState> vs ObjectState[ ];
order of parameters if we use ObjectState[ ] because only one can be
varargs.

Craig

> --
> Andy  (Java Persistent Objects - http://www.jpox.org)