db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Ilan Kirsh <ki...@objectdb.com>
Subject Re: feature request
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2007 01:34:56 GMT
Hi Eric,

I think that this is a nice to have feature and also it seems easy to implement (unlike many
other JDO 2.0 and 2.1 features).

I would prefer the following method signature (in PersistenceManager not in Transaction):

Object[] getManagedObjects(ObjectState state)

Regards,

Ilan Kirsh
ObjectDB Software
http://www.objectdb.com

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Eric Lindauer
  To: Apache JDO project ; JDO Expert Group
  Sent: Friday, November 02, 2007 1:21 AM
  Subject: Re: feature request

  Thanks for your time Craig.

  In regards to the various listener and callback interfaces... yes, I have looked at these
somewhat.  I'm aware of two, the InstanceCallbacks interface and the InstanceLifeCycleListener
interface.

  These mechanisms almost do what I need, but they are missing one thing.  Specifically, the
callbacks come back one object at a time. I want to respond to a transaction commit in the
following way:

  first: refresh / evict the corresponding instances of the changed objects in a separate
"read-only" PersistenceManager.
  second: notify any interested listeners that the data in these object has changed.

  If the callbacks come back one object at a time, I can't evict all the objects before making
callbacks.  This may well mean that the listeners will have to redo whatever work they've
just done, since the data in the other objects is just about to change.  There is another
performance penalty here too... a listener who is registered with my code to receive notification
when, say, any object in Foo.class changes, will receive a callback for every changed Foo
object in a tx, when just one callback might do.  If the listener is responding by recalculating
an expensive cache, this could be a significant performance hit.

  Note that PersistenceManager has both "refreshObject", and "refreshAll(Collection)", which
seems to be a nod to the fact that providing many objects at once can offer a performance
gain.  There is nothing corresponding to this for the calls coming back from JDO.

  If we added a "getManagedObjects" to the PM interface, or a "getEnlistedObjects" to the
Transaction interface, you'd be set.  Now you can accomplish a bulk response to changes by
simply listening for, say, a transaction commit event, asking the tx for it's enlisted objects,
and doing whatever needs to be done.

     Thanks for your consideration.
        Eric