db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Bouschen <mbo.t...@spree.de>
Subject Re: Subquery specification update
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2007 15:37:31 GMT
Hi Matthew, hi Christiaan,
> I agree that the candidateCollectionExpression description is a bit
> cryptic.
Do you have an idea for a better description? The reason to include
something like "tokens from this query" is that we have to define the
scope for identifiers used in the candidateCollectionExpression. So in
"this.department.employees" this denotes the candidate instance of the
outer query and NOT of the subquery.

> Boy, it's been a long time since I thought about subqueries.  Can we
> also provide single-string versions of the examples?  That would be
> helpful.
Do you mean add single string JDOQL of the examples to the spec or
provide them for this email discussion? I agree it would be useful to
add them to the spec. If you are just interested for right now:
- employees who work more than the average of all employees
SELECT FROM Employee WHERE this.weeklyhours > (SELECT AVG(e.weeklyhours)
FROM Employee e)
- employees who work more than the average of their department employees
SELECT FROM Employee WHERE this.weeklyhours > (SELECT AVG(e.weeklyhours)
FROM this.department.employees e)
- employees who work more than the average of the employees in their
department having the same manager:
SELECT FROM Employee WHERE this.weeklyhours >
   (SELECT AVG(e.weeklyhours) FROM Employee e WHERE e.manager ==
this.manager)

Christiaan,
yes, I think the query code you added to your email returns the same result.

Regards Michael