db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Fwd: Who is responsible for JDOCentral.com?
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2007 19:46:14 GMT
I've discussed this with Dirk, who is willing to redirect the
jdocentral.com URL to an Apache JDO URL.

So, where do we want to redirect it?

db.apache.org/jdo

db.apache.org/jdo/jdocentral.html

The real question is whether we want to have a dedicated landing zone
that we know is from people asking for jdocentral, or simply land on
the main page. I haven't thought too much about this; suggestions
welcome.

Craig

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Michelle Caisse <Michelle.Caisse@Sun.COM>
> Date: September 18, 2007 10:19:01 AM PDT
> To: jdo-dev@db.apache.org
> Cc: JDO Expert Group <jdo-experts-ext@sun.com>
> Subject: Re: Who is responsible for JDOCentral.com?
>
> I would be happy to update the web site if people provide the
> material. As Craig and Andy have suggested, we can add links or
> pages to Community/Documentation and we can add to Community/
> Mailing Lists.
>
> BTW, the Implementations page http://db.apache.org/jdo/impls.html
> was based on material from JDOCentral.
>
> -- Michelle
>
> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> Hi Andy,
>>
>> I agree that the combination of Apache JDO home site plus JPOX
>> site is most of what JDOCentral provided.
>>
>> From the behavior of the web site, the domain is still active but
>> refers to an illegal page. This can be fixed (by the domain owner,
>> which I believe is still Dirk) to redirect to a new location.
>>
>> I'd be happy if the new location were on the Apache JDO site which
>> would then refer the user to forums (on JPOX), mailing lists (JPOX
>> plus JDO plus others on demand), presentations, news, other pages
>> on either JPOX or JDO web site.
>>
>> All the stakeholders have the ability to update the JDO site so
>> this seems to be doable with the resources we currently have on
>> board.
>>
>> Craig

>>> So I can understand your requirements better I ask the question
>>> "JDOCentral
>>> was what exactly ?" To me it was a central point for discussion of a
>>> technology. I would have thought that the logical successor is
>>> Apache JDO, or
>>> JPOX, or both.
>>>
>>> JDOCentral had :-
>>> 1. articles about use of JDO. JPOX has tried to provide an
>>> equivalent in
>>> the "Tutorials & Examples" section of our docs for each release.
>>> All docs are
>>> marked with what is JDO specific and what is an extension.
>>>
>>> 2. news about presentations etc.
>>>
>>> 3. forum for problems/discussions - that became a home to
>>> spammers for the
>>> final year of its life. Apache JDO has a mailing list for JDO-
>>> specific
>>> issues, and JPOX has a forum for real-world use.
>>>

>>> I've no problem with putting/moving any JPOX docs that are JDO-
>>> generic across
>>> on Apache JDO to facilitate a more logical division between
>>> technology and
>>> implementation.
>>>

>>> Perhaps you could define what more you mean with "keep JDOCentral
>>> alive"?
>>>

>>> --Andy  (Java Persistent Objects - http://www.jpox.org)
>>
>> Craig Russell
>> jdo