db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Who is responsible for JDOCentral.com?
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:04:09 GMT
Hi Andy,

I agree that the combination of Apache JDO home site plus JPOX site
is most of what JDOCentral provided.

 From the behavior of the web site, the domain is still active but
refers to an illegal page. This can be fixed (by the domain owner,
which I believe is still Dirk) to redirect to a new location.

I'd be happy if the new location were on the Apache JDO site which
would then refer the user to forums (on JPOX), mailing lists (JPOX
plus JDO plus others on demand), presentations, news, other pages on
either JPOX or JDO web site.

All the stakeholders have the ability to update the JDO site so this
seems to be doable with the resources we currently have on board.

Craig

On Sep 18, 2007, at 9:52 AM, Andy Jefferson wrote:

>>> Is the JDO vendor community still serious about JDO?
>>> If so, I think they should fund to keep JDOCentral alive...
>>
>> I'd like to see the same.
>
> So I can understand your requirements better I ask the question
> "JDOCentral
> was what exactly ?" To me it was a central point for discussion of a
> technology. I would have thought that the logical successor is
> Apache JDO, or
> JPOX, or both.
>
> JDOCentral had :-
> 1. articles about use of JDO. JPOX has tried to provide an
> equivalent in
> the "Tutorials & Examples" section of our docs for each release.
> All docs are
> marked with what is JDO specific and what is an extension.
>
> 2. news about presentations etc.
>
> 3. forum for problems/discussions - that became a home to spammers
> for the
> final year of its life. Apache JDO has a mailing list for JDO-specific
> issues, and JPOX has a forum for real-world use.
>

> I've no problem with putting/moving any JPOX docs that are JDO-
> generic across
> on Apache JDO to facilitate a more logical division between
> technology and
> implementation.
>

> Perhaps you could define what more you mean with "keep JDOCentral
> alive"?
>

> --
> Andy  (Java Persistent Objects - http://www.jpox.org)

Craig Russell