db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Apache JDO : site
Date Sat, 29 Sep 2007 15:54:49 GMT
Hi Andy,

On Sep 29, 2007, at 7:04 AM, Andy Jefferson wrote:

> I propose moving a number of JPOX docs general to JDO onto Apache
> JDO's site.

Good idea.

> To be more specific, we (JPOX) have some docs under
> http://www.jpox.org/docs/jdo/jdo_overview.html
> some of which need updating (some of the figures are outdated or
> could be
> cleaner), but all are based around explaining the JDO spec to users
> (since
> the average JDO user doesnt go near the spec, but may respond
> better to
> pretty flow charts and sample code). They would sit better over on
> Apache JDO
> IMHO.

I agree.

> Issue 1 : Anyone against this move of content? Any issues, or any
> of the docs
> in that section not suitable ?

They need to be reviewed for accuracy. I saw that the JDO vs. JPA
could use some work. And we could add some details like comparing to
Hibernate in the Why JDO section.

> Issue 2 : by moving these docs over, the Apache JDO site will start
> to get
> much more content than it currently has, and when this happens it
> may be
> necessary to add top-level navigation as well as the current side
> navigation,
> or to add hide/show features to the side navigation. Apache JDO
> currently
> uses some "Anakia" (?!) to generate the docs which I know little of
> (except
> that its Velocity underneath), so why is this used instead of
> Maven1 "site"
> plugin (which is also Velocity) ? Any objections to using Maven1
> "site"?

When we looked at the site plugin, it had limited ability to change
the "skin" and navigation features but that might have been because
we didn't look hard enough.

I have no strong feelings about the tooling we use.

Craig

> --
> Andy  (Java Persistent Objects - http://www.jpox.org)

Craig Russell