db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From cbeams <cbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Who is responsible for JDOCentral.com?
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2007 23:07:49 GMT

David,

Thanks for your response.  While I certainly can't speak for everyone
involved, I've included my thoughts below.

- Chris

On Sep 17, 2007, at 3:31 PM, David Jordan wrote:

> I forwarded your email to Dirk Bartels, who started JDOCentral and
> hosted the service.

Thanks, much appreciated.

> The JDO vendors dropped the funding to keep JDOCentral alive, a
> mistake in my opinion.

Interesting.  Was there a news item to this effect?  How do you know
that?

> What is the status of JDO in the marketplace now?

Kodo was purchased by BEA (which you probably know) and while it
advertises full JDO 2.0 compliance, it seems to have a branding focus
on JPA.  Xcalia (formerly Libelis) has re-branded their JDO
implementation not so much with an emphasis on JPA, but an emphasis
on enterprise-wide persistence abstraction and orchestration.  (think
object-relational + object-to-xml + object-to-service mappings).  In
the open source end of things, JPOX is going strong, leading the way
as a reference implementation & keeping quite up-to-date with JDO 2.1
preview features, etc.

> What is the status of JPA in the marketplace?

Kodo, Glassfish, and OpenJPA and JPOX seem to be the most important/
visible implementations.  There are lots of news articles & buzz-in-
general around JPA.  It seems to be generally chipper, "I just
implemented Hello, World, in JPA" kind of stuff.

> Has JPA lived up to all its hype and promise from the EJB community
> and Sun?

I think it's safe to say the jury is out, but one indicator of
success may be that folks have generally 'accepted' it.  There's not
(yet) been a lot of criticism that I've seen toward JPA (the fact
that Hibernate now implements the JPA API may have a lot to do with
this).  The JDO community is quick to point out that JPA is a
functional subset of JDO, but this remains to go largely unknown in
the Java development community.  It would be nice to have a Bruce
Tate or Ted Neward step up and point out that JPA is reinventing the
wheel, but that hasn't happened as yet.  Again, the fact that
Hibernate is aligned with JPA is just a huge factor, IMHO.

> I am not working with either technology now, I am doing other
> things, but I sure have not seen much impact from JPA in terms of
> adoption.
> All I have seen is use of Hibernate, often misuse of Hibernate.

As with any technology, right? ;-)

> Is the JDO vendor community still serious about JDO?
> If so, I think they should fund to keep JDOCentral alive...

I'd like to see the same.

Other comments, anyone?