db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: JDO 2.1 specification draft can be reviewed...
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:49:01 GMT
Hi Chris,

Corrected in draft dated 2007-09-28. FYI, here's the corrected text:

Currently, aside from JDO, there are four Java standards for storing
Java data persistently: serialization, JDBC, Enterprise JavaBeans,
and Java Persistence API. Serialization preserves relationships among
a graph of Java objects, but does not support sharing among multiple
users. JDBC requires the user to explicitly manage the values of
fields and map them into relational database tables. Enterprise
JavaBeans require a container in which to run. Java Persistence API
can run either in a container or in a Java SE VM.

Craig

On Aug 4, 2007, at 3:49 PM, cbeams wrote:

> Craig,
>
> The introduction's preamble reads:
>
>> Currently, aside from JDO, there are three Java standards for
>> storing Java data persistently: serial-
>> ization, JDBC, and Enterprise JavaBeans. Serialization preserves
>> relationships among a graph of
>> Java objects, but does not support sharing among multiple users.
>> JDBC requires the user to explic-
>> itly manage the values of fields and map them into relational
>> database tables. Enterprise JavaBeans
>> require a container in which to run.
>
> There's no mention of JPA here; I imagine there should be, as it is
> indeed a fourth standard.  Perhaps it's out of scope or
> inappropriate, but it would be nice to see the spec 'officially'
> address the relationship between these two increasingly similar
> standards.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Chris Beams
>

>> From: Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@Sun.COM>