db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: greetings and question about data stores
Date Sat, 04 Aug 2007 18:55:57 GMT
Hi Richard,

If you're interested in the non-RDBMS side of JDO, I've had for a
long time an interest in upgrading the FOStore piece to use a more
modern key/value store like a modern version of Berkeley DB.

The sticking point for many of the non-RDBMS stores in the public
domain is the lack of query capability. And much of this is due to
the lack of schema for the values. In MDR, the key is not-quite-
opaque. You can see this in the special treatment of keys in the
FOStore key-generation. We'd have liked to use a simple long as a key
but MDR doesn't support them. And the value is truly opaque. In
FOStore we simply "serialize" the objects for storage replacing
objects with true FOStore object references.

Anyway, if you're interested in upgrading FOStore to use a better
store than MDR, perhaps we can start a wiki to discuss this.

Best,

Craig

On Aug 4, 2007, at 10:46 AM, Richard Schilling wrote:

> Looking some more this morning, I also found the source code
> repository for netbeans b-tree implementation:
>
> http://mdr.netbeans.org/source/browse/mdr/src/org/netbeans/mdr/
> persistence/btreeimpl/?only_with_tag=release60_m4
>

> And lo and behold, I also found an old CORBA module I didn't know
> existed.  This is going to get interesting.... :-)
>
> Richard
>

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> Hi Richard,
>> Sorry about that. The FOStore implementation had just a bit of
>> documentation which I've tried to locate for you but can't seem to
>> find just now. When I find it I'll post it on the JDO site and put
>> a link here.
>> Craig
>> On Aug 3, 2007, at 11:07 PM, Richard Schilling wrote:
>>> Here is the posting I had way back in March of 2006, which didn't
>>> get much response - if any at all:
>>>
>>> http://www.webservertalk.com/archive383-2006-3-1437593.html
>>>
>>> Never did find out the answers to these questions, but this
>>> explains what I'm up to.
>>>
>>> After just looking, I find this on the netbeans site:
>>>
>>> http://mdr.netbeans.org/architecture.html#persistence
>>>
>>> This explains MDR, the use of b-tree (which the JDO reference
>>> implementation uses) in much more detail than I saw in the past.
>>>
>>> FYI.
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>>
>>> Richard Schilling

Craig Russell