db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From cbeams <cbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JDO 2.1 specification draft can be reviewed...
Date Sat, 04 Aug 2007 23:18:23 GMT
Not to belabor the point here, but reading on I see the following in
section 2.2 ("Rationale"):

> There is no existing Java platform specification that proposes a
> standard architecture for storing the
> state of Java objects persistently in transactional datastores.

Not exactly the case anymore.  I suggest this passage be updated (or
eliminated) in light of JPA.  Perhaps the statement could be amended
to point out that there is no existing spec that proposes a
*datastore-agnostic* standard architecture for persistence.  This is
probably the chief conceptual discriminator between JDO and JPA
today.  No flame bait intended on this thread, btw; I'm a JDO user
and advocate.  I mention these things because I believe it's in JDO's
best interest to acknowledge JPA wherever appropriate, and
distinguish itself and it's raison d'ĂȘtre wherever it can.

- Chris