db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From cbeams <cbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 2.1 Spec: detached-dirty parameters to makePersistent() when DetachAllOnCommit=true
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2007 03:07:20 GMT

On Aug 8, 2007, at 7:29 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> So if we introduce a flag that uses the same instance on attach, we
> might want to have the flag called CopyOnMakePersistent and have
> true be the current specified behavior and false be the new
> behavior we've been discussing.

Sounds great to me.  There's some fine print here, though:  Just
because CopyOnMakePersistent is set to true, that doesn't mean that
makePersistent() will *always* return copies.  For example, current
specified behavior says that when DetachAllOnCommit=false and calling
makePersistent() with a transient parameter, the returned object will
be the same instance, now transitioned to persistent-clean.  This
behavior won't change because of our new option (regardless of
whether it is set to true or false), and we don't want folks to be
confused about that...

So, maybe there's a better name out there, or the spec just needs to
call out the subtleties carefully.  At any rate, this really feels
like the 'right track' to me.

Thanks,

- Chris

P.S.:  When sending emails of this sort, should I always cc the jdo-
experts-ext@sun.com address, or is jdo-dev sufficient?