db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From "Andy Jefferson" <a...@jpox.org>
Subject Re: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, July 20, 9 am PDT
Date Sat, 21 Jul 2007 17:48:14 GMT
Hi Craig,

> This brings up a question. In JPOX, if you enhance a class with a
> field that is NotPersistent, can you then in an embedded use case
> mark the same field as Persistent?

The only situation I'd currently thought of (but never tried) would be of
not persisting a field that had been defined as persistent (not the other
way around). The JPOX Enhancer doesn't do anything special in this
situation so if the user enhanced it as non-persistent and tried that it
would likely fail.

I've certainly seen some situations where a particular class is defined
with a full persistence definition, but when stored embedded only a subset
of the fields are wanted to be persisted.

> More questions than answers. Are we sure that it's a good idea to
> allow overriding the PersistenceModifier in embedded usages?

I'd like to allow the "downgrade" option (not persist a persistable field)
since it should be common enough when embedding. As you pointed out, the
"upgrade" option creates problems and would require special treatment to
allow it so I've no problem ruling it out.

--
Andy
Java Persistent Objects (JPOX)