db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Annotation overrides
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:23:24 GMT
Hi,

I'm looking at how annotations can be overridden by the xml metadata
files. It seems that the .jdo metadata that's not .orm metadata is an
exact duplicate of the annotation metadata. Is there ever a case
where you would want to override the annotation with jdo metadata?
Seems that it's really only the orm metadata in the annotations that
you want to override.

We did carefully consider that the orm metadata is just mapping, and
doesn't include information that would affect the object model. In
this case, it seems that you would want to support these combinations:

no annotations + .jdo (with jdo and orm metadata)
no annotations + .jdo (with jdo and orm metadata) + .orm (overrides
all orm in the jdo)
annotations alone (includes jdo and orm metadata)
annotations + .orm (overrides all orm in the annotations)

So I'm proposing that we disallow annotations + jdo metadata file. In
other words, if you make the decision to provide annotations, you
can't override the jdo metadata. The annotations are closer to the
Java file which is what the jdo metadata is for.

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!