db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthew T. Adams" <matthewad...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Rename property PersistenceUnitName to Name
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2007 04:22:30 GMT
I agree.  There is no need to be so verbose, and the concept of a persistence unit was and
is fully embodied by JDO's PersistenceManagerFactory.  The only new concept, IMHO, is to name
it, and "name" is sufficient to capture this.  Can you enter a JIRA for this and I'll make
a patch?

----- Original Message ----
From: Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com>
To: JDO Expert Group <jdo-experts-ext@sun.com>; Apache JDO project <jdo-dev@db.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 5, 2007 5:46:19 PM
Subject: Rename property PersistenceUnitName to Name

It seems that we added PersistenceUnitName to the
PersistenceManagerFactory before completely understanding the usage,
which primarily is to assign a name when configuring the PMF via
jdoconfig.

I now believe that the "PersistenceUnit" part of the property name is
distracting, and the real property name should be simply "Name". That
is, PersistenceManagerFactories can have a Name property. The javadoc
and other documentation can call out that this name is the same as
the PersistenceUnit name in JPA, but I don't think that there is
value in calling it PersistenceUnitName.

The implication is a change in the PersistenceManagerFactory API and
the jdoconfig xsd.

Any comments?

Craig

Craig Russell