db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Jefferson <a...@jpox.org>
Subject Re: Ease of use for annotations
Date Sat, 30 Jun 2007 06:58:29 GMT
> It would be nice if we could have @Column("DEPARTMENT") instead of
> @Column(name="DEPARTMENT").

I've no particular problem with that but would point out that when you need to
specify more than just the column name you would have
@Column(value="DEPARTMENT" jdbc-type="BLOB")
i.e "value" and not "name" (and "name" is more logical when doing that)

> Also @Field (column="DEPARTMENT")

I've no problem with adding that shortcut String property to @Field but would
mention that several shortcuts were removed from non-ORM annotations to try
to keep a clean divide between JDO and ORM.

On a related subject, previous discussion of @Table, @SecondaryTable,
@JoinTable mentioned why is the table name "table" and not "name". I've
absolutely no problem with it being "name" (and would make JDO2.1 annotations
consistent with JPA1 in this respect). If contemplating the change above for
@Column, maybe you're also thinking of
@Table("MYTABLE")
which would mean the annotation property for the table name would be "value".

It would be nice to get these into Apache JDO SVN by early next week if at all
possible since I want to get the next JPOX 1.2 beta out using them

--
Andy  (Java Persistent Objects - http://www.jpox.org)