db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: DatastoreConnection / optimistic txs
Date Sun, 08 Apr 2007 15:34:14 GMT
Hi Erik,

On Apr 8, 2007, at 6:40 AM, Erik Bengtson wrote:

> I have an optimistic transaction and I access the datastore
> connection. I
> perform some updates/inserts and rollback the transaction. The
> changes are not
> rolled back since the connection/transaction was not enlisted in
> the JDO
> optimistic transaction. This behavior is correct according the
> below paragraph
> from the spec, but I disagree.
>
> This behavior is mainly addressed to the optimization the JDO
> implementations do
> (releasing connections if it was only used to read - avoid locks),
> and SELECTs
> performed in native connection. It does not take into account the
> possibility
> of performing UPDATEs, INSERTs or DELETEs.

You are correct that using a connection that is not associated with a
datastore transaction means that any changes will not be associated
with the optimistic transaction.

> I propose of changing this behavior and mandate enlisted of
> connections if a JDO
> transaction is open, datastore or optimistic.

This would change the semantics of optimistic transactions as soon as
a datastore connection was acquired, essentially turning the
optimistic transaction into a datastore transaction.

This is a backward-incompatible change. But maybe we should consider
to request a datastore connection that would have that semantic by
adding a boolean flag to the getDataStoreConnection method indicating
that you want to be able to perform transactional updates with it.

Craig

> "12.16 Access to internal datastore connection
>
> If called in an optimistic transaction before flush has
> been called, or outside an active transaction, the object returned
> will not be
> enlisted in any transaction."

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com