db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Bengtson <e...@jpox.org>
Subject DatastoreConnection / optimistic txs
Date Sun, 08 Apr 2007 13:40:06 GMT
I have an optimistic transaction and I access the datastore connection. I
perform some updates/inserts and rollback the transaction. The changes are not
rolled back since the connection/transaction was not enlisted in the JDO
optimistic transaction. This behavior is correct according the below paragraph
from the spec, but I disagree.

This behavior is mainly addressed to the optimization the JDO implementations do
(releasing connections if it was only used to read - avoid locks), and SELECTs
performed in native connection. It does not take into account the possibility
of performing UPDATEs, INSERTs or DELETEs.

I propose of changing this behavior and mandate enlisted of connections if a JDO
transaction is open, datastore or optimistic.

"12.16 Access to internal datastore connection

If called in an optimistic transaction before flush has
been called, or outside an active transaction, the object returned will not be
enlisted in any transaction."