db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject XSD woes
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2007 22:37:19 GMT
Javadogs,

According to my xsd expert, we're misusing xsd in the published ns/
jdo xsd files, and if we want to preserve the existing semantics we
need to change the xsd and add some code to jdo implementations.

Specifically, if there is not a definite content between the
beginning and ending extension, then the parser is correct to
complain. He suggests that we redefine the xsd to allow a mixture of
extension and other elements. If more restrictions are needed, such
as only one occurrence of datastore-identity, primary-key, and
inheritance, then the implementation needs to enforce this and not
depend on the parser.

The implication is that we redefine the xsd for all the elements that
currently allow extension, and put more of the burden on the jdo
implementation to catch errors.

As part of this, I'd be willing to relax the requirement that
extensions occur only at the beginning or at the end of elements.
I'll have a more specific proposal for your review later.

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!