db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: JDO2 Spec : jdoIsDetached()
Date Sun, 07 Jan 2007 06:29:55 GMT
Hi Andy,

I think what I put into the spec as a sample was before the experts
agreed on a detached state field. The implementation that you
propose, using the jdoStateManager and jdoDetachedState works, and I
can update the spec if no one sees any issues. In fact, we should
file a JIRA to make sure that this gets fixed.

Remember that the sample code in Chapter 21 is not normative,
although it should at least be correct (which in its current state it
is not)...

Thanks,

Craig

On Jan 6, 2007, at 10:15 PM, Andy Jefferson wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
>> I haven't looked closely at this, but the spec says that this is a
>> sample implementation:
>>
>> public final boolean jdoIsDetached(){
>> return jdoStateManager==null?false:
>> jdoStateManager.isDetached(this);
>> }
>
> Well that sample doesn't work for me since it assumes that a
> StateManager
> exists when detached. In JPOX we don't have a "detached
> StateManager" ...
> jdoStateManager is null when detached, since we have
> jdoDetachedState. When
> detached the jdoDetachedState is updated with any dirty updates (no
> need for
> any StateManager). Consequently we were expecting to be able to use
>
> public final boolean jdoIsDetached()
> {
>     if (jdoStateManager == null)
>     {
>         if (jdoDetachedState == null)
>             return false;
>         return true;
>     }
>     return false;
> }
>

> If an implementation is expected to have a StateManager present
> when detached
> why exactly do we have jdoDetachedState? The info could be stored
> in the
> StateManager.
>

> Thanks
> --