db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From "Christiaan des Bouvrie" <c.des.Bouv...@CostEngineering.nl>
Subject Re: Feature proposal for JDO 2.1 maintenance: current DB time
Date Fri, 22 Dec 2006 13:17:44 GMT
Hi,

I just want to add my vote for such a feature. I currently use direct
sql in order to deal with the server date, so a JDO solution would be
nice.

Based on the previous discussions, my suggestions:

-          In order to avoid confusion why not stress more that the
server date is returned: serverDate();

-          I would prefer if it is accessible through a method call. I
have some doubt however whether JDOHelper is the right place, since
currently JDOHelper has methods for state interrogation of persistent
objects (from a user point of view this does not require a connection to
the datastore). To me it would make more sense to add it to
PersistenceManager. This is basically also the difference in
JDOHelper.getObjectID() and PersistenceManager.getObjectByID();

-          I think serverDate() should return java.util.Date since this
type is already supported by JDO. I think introducing serverTimeStamp()
could cause confusion since that would introduce dependency on the
java.sql.TimeStamp class, making JDO less datastore / sql independent.
To do it similar like the System class, why not introduce
PersistenceManager.serverNanoTime()  which translates the datastore
TimeStamp to nano seconds;

-          It would be nice to use the serverDate() method in JDOQL as
well, though for me retrieving the server Date and using that instance
in JDOQL to perform queries would suffice as well;

Kind regards,

Christiaan