db-jdo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Minutes: JDO TCK Conference Call Friday, Nov 2, 9 am PST
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 17:57:19 GMT
Attendees: Matthew Adams, Michael Bouschen, Craig Russell

Agenda:

1. Date arithmetic in queries: There are at least two different
issues here:

1a. Retrieving the date from the server. In Oracle, you can SELECT
CURRENT_DATE FROM DUAL. In JDOQL, we have no special persistent class
that has a singleton, to request that exactly one element is
returned. We could use void.class, or null as the candidate class, or
JDOHelper, or PersistenceManagerFactory. The query would look like
"Select xxx From void". Another way to handle this would be to add an
API to PersistenceManagerFactory, e.g. Xxx currentDate().

1b. Using the date in the WHERE clause. Most of the interesting
methods on Date have been deprecated in favor of Calendar. We could
use Calendar.getInstance() which would return the instance in the
time zone and locale of the server. We can support comparisons of
this Calendar with fields of type Date. In order to support date
arithmetic, we could use the add(int field, int amount) method to
change various fields. For portability, we should specify which
calendar fields must be supported by an implementation, e.g.
Calendar.DAY_OF_MONTH. An issue is that the signature of add returns
void. So you can't use the result of add for anything. I suppose we
could follow the example of StringBuffer and have the result of add
be a Calendar, returning this. Similarly, methods roll, set, setTime,
setTimeInMillis, getTime, and getTimeInMillis might be considered as
required or optional. This should depend on the common functionality
of database back ends for the required methods, and implementations
could choose to add more supported methods.

If the candidate collection is an extent or the result of an extent
query, then the Calendar functionality refers to the database back
end. If the candidate collection is a collection, then it refers to
the VM.

2.  New subprojects for JDK 1.5 support: There are two ways to
distinguish the artifacts. One is to use a different artifact id; the
other is to use a different version number. The projects that need
different content are the api20 and tck20 projects. These probably
will be branched for the different artifacts. The trunk should
continue with the jdk15 support; the earlier support would be branched.

3. Other issues

none

Craig

Action Items from weeks past:

[Oct 27 2006]  AI: Matthew add comment to JDO-403 regarding split
between JDO and ORM annotations..

[Sep 1 2006] AI Craig  check into default handling to accommodate
different defaults for annotations (?) based  on context. In progress.

[Aug 11 2006] AI Craig propose some semantics for behavior if user
tries to add to a list where the ordering element is incorrect.

[Jul 14 2006] AI: Erik document 220 annotations that don't have a
corresponding JDO concept.

[Jun 23 2006]  AI  Martin look at what Hibernate and TopLink support
for Enum types. In progress.

[Apr 14 2006] AI Craig: update the roadmap for JDO. In progress.

[Nov 4 2005] AI Martin: Update Martin's wiki with discusion of JDK
1.5 issues. In progress

[Sep 2 2005] AI: To recruit members, update the web site. Articles on
TheServerSide directing attention to the site. T-shirts, logo. AI:
Craig write a ServerSide article.

-- Michelle

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com